Hi D. K.,

We're currently trying a locally compiled Python 2.7 (from source)
under the shared Galaxy mount for use with a CentOS 6 cluster
and Galaxy server.

This seems to be working once we got the $PATH working for
cluster jobs (initially they would try to set the Galaxy metadata
using the system Python 2.6, which would fail).

I don't know if this is any easier than using the CenOS Software
Collections as suggested by Nicola, especially when it comes to
updating the OS.

Peter