Hi Julie,

We ran into some encoding issues last month when working on a
new Galaxy server with MySQL, and decided to switch to PostgreSQL
instead - and so far that has been fine:

http://dev.list.galaxyproject.org/MySQL-amp-ToolShed-installs-latin-1-codec-can-t-encode-character-td4669251.html

The closest match I could find in the mailing list archive was
from December 2013 when actually running tools:

http://dev.list.galaxyproject.org/error-with-unicode-output-td4662783.html

In that thread John Chilton talked about changing the default
encoding, and later make this easier to do by adding the
environment variable $GALAXY_DEFAULT_ENCODING with
a default for UTF8:

https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/commit/f14111d4927691e176342e044e3f91593cb1eb61

DEFAULT_ENCODING = os.environ.get('GALAXY_DEFAULT_ENCODING', 'utf-8')

https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/blob/dev/lib/galaxy/util/__init__.py#L62

John can perhaps give more information on what to try, and
if your MySQL database should have an encoding set?

We took the pragmatic route and went for PostgreSQL as this
is more tested than MySQL (e.g. http://usegalaxy.org).

Peter