Hi Ryan,

multiple tool stages do not necessarily equally split runtime so you
wouldn't have 'time progress bar' but 'unscaled progress bar'. The
usefulness of such I would put somewhere in between a loading animation and
stats estimate. This would also require every tool to be enhanced as well
as the framework as opposed to the proposed stats solution that could work
with every used tool building on past data without putting more
requirements on the tool developer. Whole another book of problems would be
how (and if) is this handled in job schedulers such as Slurm - where most
of the big jobs live.

To summarize: having tool reporting progress stages is possible to
implement but has many drawbacks.

Thanks,
Martin