I did a bit of digging here, and it looks to me like /user/logout should be
whitelisted in the middleware, and shouldn't present that "Access to Galaxy
user controls is disabled".

I might need a little more information.  What revision of Galaxy are you
running?  Are you serving Galaxy at a subdomain or is any other nonstandard
routing in place?  As an admin user, if you just directly navigate
to http://<your_galaxy_instance>/user/logout, you get the same path-blocked
error message?