Hello Katherine,
You will save a lot the work some people are doing now.

You are not alone to face the same problem. We discussed last time about
that, iRODS, etc...

I think it is a good idea to emcrypt the password  before it enters the
database. That Galaxy don't keep any trace of user name or password on the
system.
I don't know how much it is difficult for that. I tried to modify the
databsae but I had some issues. So I updated this morning the new version
of Galaxy. I will check if I can manage.
Let know us what change you made by putting on the github.

Thanks in advance,

Mohamed