Hi All

In using Galaxy, I would like to be able to keep track of the input dataset
name down the analysis chain.

This is a similar if not the same issue raised by Eric in
https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/issues/2752, to which he proposes
in the context of a workflow that, "the rename dataset action should
support usage of all the dataset names from Input Dataset elements, rather
than just input files to the particular tool." Please see the issue for
more details.

There are other similar issues raise scattered all over regarding the same
issue:

Enhancements:
1. Ability to name datasets using the element identifier:
https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/issues/2006
2. Ability to define the collection name in a workflow:
https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/issues/2398
3. Name datasets according to both collection name and element identifier:
https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/issues/2140,
https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/issues/2023

Bug Fixes:
1. Renaming using the input from paired dataset collections:
https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/issues/1675,
https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/issues/1686

I have created a github issue regarding the above, in effort to try and
consolidate all these related above issues.

https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/issues/2980

Can we use the above issue to discuss the best approach on these issues,
point out work being done on the area and perhaps define clear milestones
for each?

Galaxy Devs please provide me some guidance to best tackle this.
(particularly of tracking the input dataset names along the analysis chain).

Thanks,
Zipho