Dear list,

I had some time to dig into this.

Since this is a quite old thread here is a wrap up:

The problem was that galaxy uses the USER part of the email address (USER@DOMAIN) to determine the system user to submit jobs to a drmaa cluster (I need to submit jobs as real user). In my setting, where users login via LDAP, this does not work since the prefix of the email is not always the user name, but the actual user is stored in the galaxy data base (and awaited utilization :) ).

I found a way to let galaxy try both possibilities, and whatever of the two possibilities matches a real user is taken (prioritizing the email method for compatibility). I have created a pull request:

https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/pull/4096

Cheers,
Matthias