Time for more debugging, try inserting something like this inserted
the line above into
/panfs/pstor.storage/home/qbcglab/galaxy_run/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/jobs/runners/drmaa.py
(having backed up the file):

log.debug( 'Making job_name, tag was %r, plan to use %r with
underscores replacements' % (galaxy_id_tag, job_name))

And if that doesn't help, check all the characters:

for i, letter in enumerate(job_name): log.debug( 'Making job_name,
character %i in proposed job_name %r is %i' % (i, letter,
ord(letter)))

My hunch is that the locale of the Galaxy server differs from that on
the cluster, meaning DRMAA is stricter about allowed characters
because Python's string.letters would be whatever is allowed on the
Galaxy server's locale.

If I am right, a crude fix would be switching to using
string.ascii_letters, i.e.

job_name = ''.join( x if x in ( string.ascii_letters + string.digits +
'_' ) else '_' for x in job_name )

Peter