Thanks for all the feedback!  We've not yet discussed it all as a group, but
I'd like to offer a quick solution for easily renaming histories.

In the history panel, just above the first dataset listed, you should see the
name of your current history in lighter text, which if you click on it, should
swap to an inline edit box where you can change the name.

-Dannon