Hi all,

I've recently encountered a few problems when trying to use Galaxy which are
really driving me away from using it as a bioinformatics platform for NGS. I
was wonderinf if there are any simple solutions that I've missed...

Firstly, It seems that while there are a few solutions for getting large
files (a few GB) into a local install of galaxy without going through HTTP,
many tools that operate on these files produces multiple, uncompressed large
files which quickly eat up the disk allocation. This is particularly
significant in a workflow that has multiple processing steps which each
leave behind a large file. With no way to compress or archive files produced
by intermediate steps in a workflow, and no desire to delete them since I
may need to go back to them and they can take hours to re-run, the only two
remaining options seem to be to save them and then delete them.

And this brings me to the second problem. Getting large files out of Galaxy.
The only way to save large files from Galaxy (that I can see) is the save
icon, which downloads the file via http. This take *ages* for a large file
and also causes big headaches for my firefox browser. I've taken a quick
peek at the Galaxy file system to see if I could just copy a file, but its
almost completely indecipherable if you want to find out what file in the
file system corresponds to a file saved from a tool. Is there some way to
get the location of a particular file on the galaxy file system, that I can
just copy?

--
Cheers,

Nick Schurch