On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 2:28 AM, Jennifer Jackson <j...@bx.psu.edu> wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>
> "Text Manipulation -> Convert delimiters to TAB" could split one field into
> more than one, but the delimiter has to be in the list ("@" is not).
>
> "Text Manipulation -> Cut columns" from a table is similar, but it will not
> split on a "@" either.
>
> "Text Manipulation -> Trim leading or trailing characters" could be use for
> this specific case, since you can trim off the end of a column based on a
> position (but again, not a specified delimiter). To prep for an entire
> genome, you would need to break up the starting query so that the chromosome
> name lengths in any derivative queries are of a consistent length, then
> merge back together.
>
> Perhaps the "@" was just an example and one of these tools will work for
> you. If you are customizing, additions to the Tool Shed that expand the
> native tools are always welcome! http://community.g2.bx.psu.edu

I've been planning to write a Galaxy tool to split a column on a given
delimiter (e.g. @ for this example, or | for NCBI style identifiers), which
would solve this use case nicely. I haven't done it yet though - so if
anyone else wants to write such a tool first, please go ahead.

Specifically I would be aiming to expose the Python split and rsplit string
method functionality, so the user would have to specify the number of
splits (or perhaps more intuitively the number of columns to make) and
if it should start on the left (default) or on the right.

Peter