Hello Jo,

This is a great tutorial to get started:
http://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/galaxy101

The tutorial uses data from UCSC. To load your own data, go to "Get Data -> Upload File from your computer" in the left pane, very top. Options are for direct upload (if file is very small, under 2MB) or FTP.

For FTP, use a direct unix connection to the server or a desktop client such as FileZilla. Once the FTP is complete, go back to the Upload page, click on the file(s), and load into your history. The exact server name and other FTP connection details are on the Upload page itself. We are asking users to keep uploaded file size under 50G.

Welcome to Galaxy!