I still haven't found an easy solution to this problem and I am afraid I'm
going to have to write one my own - which makes little sense as I bet this has
been solved thousands of times!

Can anybody point me to a script/software to convert a samtools pileup file
into a fasta consensus file? It would be nice to set coverage thresholds,
etc... but I'll take anything I can work with.

The best google could do for me was this:
http://biostar.stackexchange.com/questions/1389/how-to-generate-a-consensus-fasta-sequence-from-sam-tools-pileup

Not that helpful,

-John

P.S. If there is a better way of doing this (something other than samtools) I'm
all ears.