Hi Joe,
We have not tried aspera (if I recall correctly, they're not open source?).
At the University of Chicago, though, there has been some work on enabling
Galaxy on the cloud to work with GridFTP and GlobusOnline, which is somewhat
related. There is a talk and PPT about that available at
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/GCC2011 (look for "Galaxy, GridFTP, Condor, and
Globus Online").

Let us know how it goes if you decide to take this on,
Enis