Colleen;

>  I am having trouble setting up access to the galaxy cloud instance
> and may have missed something in the tutorial (I am following this
> one:http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Cloud)
>
> I am able to launch the instance
> I can access it through ssh, but when I try to access it through
> firefox or chrome it just times out.

It does sound like something with the security group setting. Could you
include a screenshot of what your security group looks like? As a
reference, here is mine:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=jzy07q&s=7

Did you also remember to select this security group, and not the
default, when starting the image in the console? I sometimes make that
mistake and then wonder for a while why I'm having connectivity issues.

Hope this helps,
Brad