Thanks for the help!  I was able to successfully connect and get galaxy running.
The items I had incorrect and needed to change were:
One security group
User data with NO <>
and only a space between the : and the data (Not a tab).
Thanks f the quick responses and advice, I would have been forever
trying the different variables.