Oren,

Exactly what you're asking for doesn't currently exist, though depending on
what you're building you could definitely use the API to monitor this sort of
thing.  The histories controller provides the state of job, along with lots of
other useful information.  For example, using the encoded id of a job and the
provided (in your /galaxy/scripts/api directory) display.py script, you can
make a request something like:

python ./display.py <your API key>
http://localhost:8080/api/histories/<history_id>/contents/<dataset_id>

And you'll get a reply that includes the detailed state information of this
particular dataset, something like what I've copied below.  In this, you can
see that I'm currently uploading the file, for example.

Member Information
------------------
misc_blurb: None
name: sample.fasta
data_type: None
deleted: False
state: upload
download_url: /datasets/a799d38679e985db/display?to_ext=None
visible: True
genome_build: ?
model_class: HistoryDatasetAssociation
file_size: 0
metadata_data_lines: None
id: a799d38679e985db
misc_info: None
metadata_dbkey: ?

Let me know if you have more questions, or if this is sufficient to get you
started.  Thanks!

-Dannon