Hello Daniel, Peter,

I have opened a bitbucket ticket to track a 'select random records' tool request. Please feel free to add in additional datatypes or details that you would like to be considered.

https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/issue/668/select-random-records-fasta-fastq-maf

Thanks Peter for the work-around in the case of random Fasta sequences!