Hello Anthony,

On Oct 24, 2011, at 6:55 AM, Anthony Underwood wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I’m trying to get my head round permissions on Data Libraries. I have a
> couple of questions
> 1) When I come to give access to a library the only roles I see are the
> current (admin) user’s private roles and other non-private roles I have
> created - no other private roles.

The list of roles you see on the permission page for data library items (
folders and datasets ) is dependent upon the following:

1. Whether you are setting permissions on the library item from the Admin view
( where you should see both private and public roles ) or the Data Libraries
view ( where you should only see your own private roles along with certain
other public roles

2. The level in the hierarchy of the data library at which you are setting
permissions.  At the top level ( the data library level ), you have the ability
to set the LIBRARY_ACCESS permission for the entire data library hierarchy.
Depending upon the roles you associate here, all lower levels in the data
library hierarchy show only those roles that are derived from the roles you set
at the top LIBRARY_ACCESS permission.  This is because it makes no sense to
allow user john to have some permission to do something in a lower folder of a
data library when he is not associated with the permission to even access the
library at the top level.

> Reading the wiki page suggests that I should see all roles private and
> non-private.

Not knowing which wiki you've read, make sure to see these:

http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Data%20Libraries/Library%20Security

http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Events/GDC2010?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=GDC2010_data_libraries_sample_tracking.pdf

> 2) Is there a way to give a role access to just one folder of a library
> rather than the whole library?

Yes, but again, the user with the role must be able to access the data library
( either the data library is public, or the user with the role is associated
with the LIBRARY_ACCESS permission at the top level.

> Many thanks
>
> Anthony
> Dr Anthony Underwood
> Bioinformatics Group | Applied Laboratory and Bio- Informatics Unit
> Microbiology Services, Colindale
> Health Protection Agency

> The information contained in the EMail and any attachments is confidential
> and intended solely and for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).
> It may not be disclosed to any other person without the express authority of
> the HPA, or the intended recipient, or both. If you are not the intended
> recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or
> any part of it. This footnote also confirms that this EMail has been swept
> for computer viruses, but please re-sweep any attachments before opening or
> saving. HTTP://www.HPA.org.uk

>  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/

Greg Von Kuster
Galaxy Development Team