Hello Kevin,

This particular function is like a "cat" - will work any text file. Assuming that you run the function in the same order the data was split, it should merge fine.

Should you want to work with tools that manipulate FASTQ files specifically, a tool search of "FASTQ" will bring up most plus look under the tool group "NGS: QC and manipulation -> Generic FASTQ manipulation".

And in case you didn't see this, data can be uploaded using FTP. Several compressed formats are support. Using a desktop client can the track progress of, restart, and confirm a load.
http://galaxyproject.org/wiki/Learn/Upload%20via%20FTP

Best wishes for your project,