Hi,

with regard to the 5' clipping:

On the main (usegalaxy.org) server: it is possible using the "NGS: QC and manipulation" => "Generic FASTQ Manipulation" => FASTQ Quality Trimmer by sliding window".

If you are interested, we have recently adapted that tool a bit to improve speed (5'+3' clipping based of 62M reads in about 20 minutes). I can send you the perl script & xml for use in galaxy.

Best Regards,

Geert Vandeweyer
University of Antwerp,
Belgium