I was wondering how the sharestring feature works?

Enis mention it a little bit here:
http://biostar.stackexchange.com/questions/15467/galaxy-cloudman-best-way-to-customize-and-share-cloudman/15481#15481

So as I understand it, I do my customizations and persist them, and
then I get a sharestring so others can load my customizations.

How does this work behind the scenes?

Also where are my customizations stored?  Am I charged by Amazon for
storing them?  How do others have permissions to pull them from my
Amazon account?

(I'm new to all of this, sorry if my questions are obvious)

-Greg