Hi Jim,

This behavior is likely due to permissions that are combined / derived /
inherited to the location of the data library at which you are uploading,
although it is not possible to be definite without more information about the
permissions you have set at the library, folder, etc.  Galaxy will ensure that
the dataset is accessible to at least 1 user, so association access to a
private role and then attempting to provide more open access with a public /
group role at a lower level in the library hierarchy could be problematic.

Check our Data Library security wiki  if you haven't seen it yet -
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Data%20Libraries/Library%20Security.  Hopefully
it will clarify why you're seeing this.  If not, you'll have to let me know the
permissions at all levels of your library in order for me to be able to help.

Thanks,

Greg Von Kuster