The default cm.tar.gz is in a public bucket (https://s3.amazonaws.com/cloudman). I'm not sure whether saving persistent data would lead to a new cm.tar.gz package in your own bucket.

You could create your own bucket and put the cm.tar.gz it there. Then I think you can set in your userdata where cm.tar.gz is downloaded from. I'm not sure, but it is defined in the boot script which is also downloaded from the bucket on instance-boot.

http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/CloudMan/UserData is down currently though.

cheers,
jorrit