Hi Rich,

Additional genomes will be specially sorted, indexed, and added to the GATK tool suite as it moves out of beta status. Hg19 is short-listed for addition near term.

We do take requests to have genome added to tools and consider these when ranking our prioritization lists. Which genome did you want to use?

One small warning when using a custom reference genome with this particular tool set - be sure to visit the GATK web site links directly to understand the sorting criteria for genomes. It can be different than how Galaxy, UCSC, and many of the existing tools already sort or instruct users to sort genomes or data. In short, the genome must be sorted in the exact order that it was originally released, but even this can be slightly confusing, especially if working with a non-human genome as there are few examples. Still, the documentation can help and tools are easily tested (if the sorting is wrong, the tool will fail and let you know).

If others have requests for GATK native genomes, they are also welcome to reply. In general, key model organisms would be ranked highest in priority. We also try to get the largest genomes loaded natively first (for purely practical reasons).

Good question, thanks!