Hello Richard,

The best way is evaluate the file is to compare them with the specifications in the Cufflinks documentation (http://cufflinks.cbcb.umd.edu/gff.html) and then to run them through the tool. However, I can let you know that from a quick look, many of the key attributes are not in these files (transcript start site, gene name).

This is one of the areas that can be the trickiest to get working. Identifiers (specifically chromosome identifiers) much be exact, file formats must be in spec, and their are certain attributes in the GTF/GFF files that Cufflinks will take advantage of if present (and ignore if not).

The issues with the UCSC and Ensembl GTF files and Cufflinks was also likely with missing attributes in the ninth field. iGenomes does have datasets that were specifically annotated to have a full compliment of these attributes. You can use either UCSC's data for mm9 or mm10 at Galaxy (mm10 is new in Galaxy - today! - so you would need to run TopHat again).
http://cufflinks.cbcb.umd.edu/igenomes.html