Thanks Jen,

Yes, I am working with codingDbSnp files.  The solutions you suggest do the
work, but they're clunky in requiring a bunch of operations to extract a whole
codon or to determine whether a particular interval has two or three codons.
So if someone has a one or two line solution, it would be much appreciated.

Lee