Hello Neil,

Single file zip archives are permitted to be uploaded and the dataset will uncompress and load into your history. If multi-file, Galaxy will only load the first dataset from the archive. If modified so that it never compresses, Galaxy will not be able to have access to the data - assign metadata, run tools, etc. The FTP upload wiki explains about single-file zips
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/FTPUpload

That said, I know that there are modification on this on some local installs. But, is the idea to just upload/download a zip archive through Galaxy, without actually using Galaxy at all? I am not sure if that is what you are asking, but there are probably better tools for file archive/transfer. But if you really want to use Galaxy for this, then asking on the galaxy-...@bx.psu.edu mailing list would reach the development community. Please start a new thread (new message & do not cross-post).
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Support#Starting_a_technical_tool.2C_local.2BAC8-cloud_instance.2C_or_development_thread

Thanks and good luck!