Hello Kenneth,

Are you using BLAST+ in a local install or cloud instance? The problem may be that the query dataset needs to have the datatype assigned as "fasta". To do this, click on the pencil icon for the dataset to reach the Edit Attributes form. Then either scroll down to (or click on the tab for) the attribute "Datatype" and change to "fasta" and save. [The UI is undergoing some changes, so you may or may not have the new tabs style form in your instance yet).

http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Mailing%20Lists

Take care and please let us know if your question has been misunderstood,