Hi Dave,

Yes, if your Galaxy instance is on the internet, for entire history transfer, you can skip the curl download and just enter the URL from the public Main Galaxy server into your Galaxy directly.

To load large data over 2G that is local (datasets, not history archives), you can use the data library option. The idea is to load into a library, then move datasets from libraries into histories as needed. Help is in our wiki here:
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Data%20Libraries/Libraries
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Data%20Libraries/Uploading%20Library%20Files

Take care,