Hi Andrew,

My first guess is that perhaps the region is not set correctly?
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/CloudMan/AWS/GettingStarted

See " Step 1: One Time Amazon Setup", subsection 2, where region is " set your AWS Region to US East (Virginia)".
The image in the wiki for step 1.2 is slightly outdated, instead it will look like this:

Please give this a try and let us know if you continue to have issues.

Thanks!