Regarding (2), have you installed bowtie and tophat on your Mac Pro?
Galaxy does not currently automatically install all of the software
needed to run tools (we are working on this through the toolshed, but
at the moment it is a manual process).

Dependencies of various tools included in the distribution are here:
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Tools/Tool%20Dependencies

--
James Taylor, Assistant Professor, Biology/CS, Emory University