From: Jennifer Jackson <j...@bx.psu.edu<mailto:j...@bx.psu.edu>>
Date: Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:30 PM
To: lilach noy <lilach...@gmail.com<mailto:lilach...@gmail.com>>
Cc: "galaxy-u...@bx.psu.edu<mailto:galaxy-u...@bx.psu.edu>"
<galaxy-u...@bx.psu.edu<mailto:galaxy-u...@bx.psu.edu>>
Subject: Re: [galaxy-user] watching command line to a query

Hi Lilach,

Often tools will report the command line in the comments after a job has
completed, but not always. Including the full command string with all tools is
a goal

But until then, there is a way to get it for all tools (or nearly all) via a
very special method. Please stay with me here - it is by purposely causing the
tool to fail (really error -> turn dataset red), then clicking on the green bug
icon as if to submit a bug report. Sometimes the command string is available in
the stdout/stderr in the bug report or "i" info page and you do not need to
actually submit it - you can just review the report and data. Other times, you
will need to submit it and wait for the email copy of that report to be cc'd to
you. In the bug report the full command string as executed will be reported
about 1/3 of the way down in the email.

I use this exact same information every day to help people solve problems - it
is very informative, especially for folks with a bioinformatics background who
just need to know the exact details or those wanting to make the full
connection between tool form and command-line options. This information is
saved/available in every single job, so no one should be concerned that only
error jobs have this sort of information recorded. All jobs are perfectly
reproducible at this level, the extreme detail is just not in the UI display
for all - yet.

When you are doing this to just capture command strings (submitting bug
reports), please include a note in the comments stating to ignore the bug
report, e.g. "that it was on purpose - ignore!", and we'll ignore, no problem!
:)

The "error" is also reported in the logs, but as noted earlier in this thread,
you won't have access to that on external servers. Combined with the wrapper
and source code at galaxy-central, 3rd party sites, and the tool shed, this
should give you both the full access and the autonomy you want to learn from
existing tools as implemented on Test and Main (and perhaps other sources -
you'll have to check each for the bug report settings/policies).

Hope this helps!

Jen
Galaxy team