Hi,

Our team at the University of Oslo is building a Life Science Portal
based on Galaxy. We operate several standalone instances and we have the
necessary sysadmin experience, but we really need to implement a more
secure file upload mechanism than FTP (we do not like to send cleartext
password credentials in the open ), and we understand that Galaxy does
not integrate an upload method other than FTP with reference to this
screencast:

http://screencast.g2.bx.psu.edu/quickie_17_ftp_upload/flow.html

One possible solution for this is to setup an SFTP upload server with a
huge scratch space, that runs the SFTP upload gateway on one end and an
IP restricted FTP server on the other, so that users can then
upload/index the SFTP uploaded data into their Galaxy session via the
URL upload field. This two step process might be a bit cumbersome for
some of our users and we are looking for ways to simplify it.

Do you have best recipes for SFTP/Aspera upload gateway integration to
Galaxy? We would welcome advise on that matter.

GM

Best regards,

George Magklaras PhD
RHCE no: 805008309135525

Head of IT/Senior Systems Engineer
Biotechnology Center of Oslo and
the Norwegian Center for Molecular Medicine/
Vitenskapelig Databehandling (VD) -
Research Computing Services - USIT

EMBnet TMPC Chair

http://folk.uio.no/georgios