Elwood:

With large fastq files your best option will be either using public server
(which is having difficulties today) or running a local instance of Galaxy.
We are very much aware that the public site is not behaving well. It will
be back on-line today and in the coming weeks we will be switching
underlying infrastructure brining much needed relief to all Galaxy users at
once.

The best venue for posting such questions is out galaxy-user mailing list
(I CC'ed it here).

Thank you and sorry for the main site troubles.

anton

--
Anton Nekrutenko
Associate Professor