Hi,

yes, you can link files to a Galaxy Library without copying -  please see
https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/DataLibraries/UploadingLibraryFiles(the
last part 'Upload files from filesystem paths').

And there is an API for libraries (although it is under construction). The
flow of controllers for upload is api/library_contents >
controllers/library_common

https://galaxy-central.readthedocs.org/en/latest/lib/galaxy.webapps.galaxy.api.html#module-galaxy.webapps.galaxy.api.library_contents

Martin