On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 17:39:13 +0300
Jussi Lahtinen <jussi.lahti...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have no opinion for or against. But what would the extensions do? I think
> the IDE pretty much have all the possible useful things..?
> I guess something special without general usage. I would be interested in
> hearing some ideas.
>

> Jussi

Here's a few we have already (not farm produce though).

A class skeleton code builder/rebuilder. It parses a class and allows visual
addition/modification/deletion of properties, methods, etc. It doesn't provide
or allow for editing for actual procedural code but does build code for
accessors and some other mechanical procedures (such as skeleton code for
initialising the class infrastructure in the constructor. (It also reformats
the code so that all procedures are layed out in groups: public, private, (some
other mechanicals we use), accessors, handlers.)

A form reviewer: This utility provides a means to review a Gambas3 form
definition file highlighting missing features (tooltips etc) and duplicated
features (shortcuts and accelerators). It is meant to assist in checking that
all the useability factors of a form in a project have been completed properly
before releasing the containing project.

A library component installation manager: This project:
* displays information about gambas <b>applications, libraries and
components</b> that are either installed on the local computer or which have
installable packages,
* highlights packages that have been superseeded (i.e. there is a later package
version available),
* provides a mechanism to install specific package versions on the local
computer.

A task manager: Simple, "emphasis" on simple, to do list for gambas projects -
just what the world needs, another todo list! :-)

A tool to "generate a procedure to handle command line arguments suitable for
the gb.args component."

Several other code generators suitable only for the way we "do things" here.

So I for one would prefer to see that there was no forced dependency on the
farm. i.e. allow for locally installed tools. In fact, given the current state
of versioning in the farm using a shared extension would leave the client
developer at the whim of the extension developer. Suppose version 1.2 of an
extension is the one I want to use even thought there is a version 3.6
available?

(in fact back in gambas2 days we had modified the IDE to allow for such
extensions (I called them "AddIns"). It was fairly simple to implement in the
gb2 IDE code and provided almost all of what Benoit mentioned (passing the
project context, current class etc) and also had it's own "manager" to allow
for adding/removing/activating/deactivating specific addins.

bruce
--
B Bruen <adamn...@gnail.com (sort of)>