I am an absolutely new user of Gambas, 76 years old and only using it to
write simple self-use programs. I bought the e-book Beginners Guide to
Gambas, Revised edition from Amazon and as a consequence it does not have
the cd that would have been included with the hard copy.

I am using Ubuntu 18.4 and Gambas 3.11.90 together with SQLite.

Because I don't have the cd I decided to "create" the Database1 program
described in the book under "The Database Example Program". I have created
the main form as well as the FRequest form, both with their various
controls.

On FMain (I noticed that you cannot change the name of the Main form) I
placed a Textbox at the bottom in a Frame called SQL request.

During the instructions detailing how the program "works" there is the
following quote:

"we set the enabled properties for both program forms to TRUE and place some
default text in the SQL request box at the bottom of the FMain form:

frmDatabase.Enabled = TRUE
frmRequest.Enabled = TRUE
txtRequest.Text ="Show Tables"

1. At this point my problem is that there are no forms called frmDatabase or
frmRequest.

2. My next problem is that the Textbox does not accept multi-lines.

The code for the "RUN Button" (next to the SQL Request text box is:

Public Sub btnRun_Click()

  Dim rData As Result

  Dim hForm As FRequest

  rData = $hConn.Exec(txtRequest.Text)
  hForm = New FRequest($hConn, rData)
  hForm.Show

  Catch
    Message.Error(Error.text)

    End

3. When I click on the "Run" button a message comes up stating: Query
failed: near "Show Tables"; syntax error. (I have only entered this one line
due to 2 above.

If I blank the Textbox for the SQL query and insert a SQL query directly
into the line:
rData = $hConn.Exec("Select * from Test") instead of (txtRequest.Text) then
I get the message:

Cannot exec request
Unknown symbol 'Width' in Class 'Font'
OK

Clicking OK brings the message:
'Not enough arguments'

I believe that the above two messages come from the following code under the
FRequest form.

Private Sub ReadData()

  Dim hTable As Table
  Dim hField As ResultField
  Dim iInd As Integer

  Inc Application.Busy

  tbvData.Rows.count = 0
  tbvData.Columns.Count = $rData.Fields.Count

  For Each hField In $rData.Fields
    With hField

      tbvData.Columns[iInd].Text = .Name

      tbvData.Columns[iInd].Width = WidthFromType(tbvData, .Type, .Length,
.Name)

      End With

      Inc iInd

      Next

      tbvData.Rows.Count = $rData.Count

      Finally

        Dec Application.Busy

        Catch
          Message.Error("Cannot exec request" & "\n\n" & Error.Text)
         End

Can anybody who may have this book and the CD perhaps throw some light on
what may be causing the problems?

--
Sent from: http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.com/gambas-user-f3.html