Hello gamers,
Early this week, Monday, I began the process of updating Montezuma's
Revenge to the 2.0 .NET Framework. In the process I have decided to also
make a drastic alteration in the way game audio is handled.
In Alpha 1 I used a standard stereo pan control, via DirectX, to pan the
sound effects. While that is generally ok allot of testers felt that the
handling of sound effects just isn't quite right, and the roll off
factor for sounds sounds fake and unnatural. I plan to correct this by
rewriting the audio class for the game and will be using full virtual 3D
buffers which will correct this issue. It should sound much more natural
when the job is complete.
Another major change I have planned is using DirectX DirectInput to
handle game movement and keyboard control. In Alpha 1 allot of folks
were discontent with the way keyboard input was handled. True I was just
using a standard Windows form event to handle input. Again while
functional the major problem with that was it couldn't support multiple
keyboard controls such as control+right arrow to speed run or space
arrow key to jump. As a result this will be changed to be more flexable
with keyboard commands.
So what can you expect in the updated release? In the upcoming release I
plan to really overhall the core engine. This is going to take a quite a
long time to do. Not sure when Alpha 2 will be out, but it won't be soon
with this stuff in the works.