Hi Tom, I don't know, but it must be really expensive for some models, if
you think that professional rowers use the expensive ones. Remember though
that as a blind person, you'd have the benefit (at least with the model I
saw) of hearing the sea everytime you pull, and hearing the scarey tones for
the shark. I think though that to use a lot of the features, you would need
sighted help.
You do also get other cool machines that do things which you'd think cool,
like for cricket, the provinces and large clubs train using machines that
bowl different types of balls at different types of speeds at the player.
Unfortunately, I don't know if the machine can be set to bowl sort of
under-arm so that it can be used by players of blind cricket. For rugby
their's also machines against which you must push called scrum machines, it
sort of uses powerful springs to try and push you back. As for playing games
while you excersise, which would be cool, their was an excersise bike at an
exhibition, it is still being properly developed, but while you pedal, you
have a little screen in front of you and you try to drive the bike through a
maize to complete a work-out. When you put pressure on the left side of the
handle bars, the bike on the screen goes left, and of course, right would go
right. I'm not sure, but I also think that the difficulty level changes when
you get to a hill in the maize etc. I think I heard that it has about 21
maizes for different types of excersise. I wonder if their'll ever be an
accessible sort of excersise machine with games  for blind people to help us
enjoy excersise more.
Ari