Hi Nolan,
Snip
 First, as all targets are visible on-
screen, they're also all audible, although targets at extreme range
are more difficult to hear.
End Snip

While I see where you are coming from with this what I am doing in my
asteroids clone is making a large 1000 by1000 grid area of the entire
asteroid field. Only the sounds for the asteroids with in 100 units of
the spaceship are autable. The others are stopped until they come in to
range. This not only cuts down on CPU needed to process the effects it
also cuts down on the sounds needed to be heard at any given time.
Hth.