Hi Ken,
When I was talking about 3D I wasn't just meaning audio. I was meaning
an entire 3D world. However, I've decided against something of that
complexity.
\The audio alone is problematic, and I generally don't recommend 3D
buffers. The main reason is you can have less effects loading in 3D
buffers. They are located in hardware buffers, and every computers
soundcard is different. I might have one that can process say 64
hardware buffers, and the next guys might only be able to do 32. The guy
doing 32 obviously wont get the same effect as the guy with 64, and will
be writing in wondering why the game doesn't work right. Answer upgrade
your computer and add a better name brand soundcard and don't use the
l-cheapo one that came in your computer.
When you use plane old secondary buffers with stereo panning you can
lode the buffers in to software and then it is only a matter of CPU
output and available memory to access.
Even though panning isn't quite the effect you can duplicate 3d buffers
somewhat by using panning properly when calculated and use the volume
control on the buffer for rolloff.
I remember a year or so ago when James north put out his 3D audio mouse
demo, and several wrote in complaining that their soundcard wasn't up to
the specs. That is not good for us devs who would like to put out games
with the "works" but find out the customer base doesn't have the
hardware to do it. So for now panning is a good alternative.