Hi Steve,
Before using any armour and weapons you should always check it's mr and
stamina points.  For example a well crafted armour would be more
desirable than a poor, common, or sterty set.
Even if an armour is magical as in the case of the seven knights quest
those aren't the best armour around. Good for a quick boost if you are
starting out, but I have certainly had better armour found in Sryth.