Hi Steve,
Montezuma's Revenge is indeed a accessible remake of the old Atari
classic side-scroller. I'm not exactly sure where I stand legally as for
as copyrights go, but Alchemy was in development of the game before I
acquired it and took over development. When I said I had acquired the
rights that meant that Alchemy Games would revoke any future sales of
the product, turn over all source and sound effects, and of course the
customers.
As far as being worried of copyrights I put that down to a personal
decision as to how closely you wish to follow the copyright laws to the
letter.
PCS Games for example has successfully written and marketed Packman
Talks without any word from the copyright holders of the game. GMA Games
has produced Trek 2000 and Trek 99 without a word from Paramount. PCS
Games is in development of Sarah which is a Harry Potter spin off, and
so far no word from the copyright holder's legal staff. I myself have
been in production of Final conflict for two years, and a demo has been
on site for equally that long and no word from Paramount.
I don't think it is that the companies do not care, but they don't wish
to go after small fries like you and me. Paramount would gladly go after
Fox, Lucasfilm, or someone like that for using Star Trek, but for some
blind dev writing a game and giving it away or scraping up a few peanuts
for it it's in the long term not worth their time to worry about it.
Another textbook example of what I mean is take the game Asteroids. The
game came out in 1979, and eventually Activision got the rights to the
game, and have released Asteroids games for PC, consoles, etc. Yet, you
can look just about anywhere and find free Asteroids games which are
direct copies of the Asteroid games which are rewrites with this or that
added. I can think of three or four for Linux such as: SDL Roids,
Vectoroids, Asteroids 3D,, Mailstrem, and so on.
The Linux KDE desktop ships with a sweet of games, and one of those is
KPackman. As it happens the game is open source, but is also sold as a
part of many Linux operating systems. No one has taken them to task for
adding Asteroids 3D or KPackman to their list of games, and Linux
KPackman and Asteroids have allot more users than the entire known blind
gaming comunity.