Hi Nicol,
As the manual clearly states John Britain and his staff were conducting
genetic experimentation when the experiment went wrong somehow. From the
story the complex is not in an office building, but in a mountain base
hidden inside the mountain.
Now, since we know the experiment was genetics clearly there first tests
would be done on rats, dogs, and other animals before moving on to human
subjects. That explains how we got mutant dogs and giant rats, andthe
blobs have been created through experimentation.  The cyborgs must have
been an experiment of joining machine and man, and well the resulting
creatures were deadly creatures.
The story doesn't say what went wrong and how, but I have my own theory
about that. Simply, during the experimentation they used the lower staff
which mutated and killed most of those who had control of the expriment
or they were accedently caught up in it. John Britain who caried the
experiment control box was definately converted in to something, the
boss, and he was no longer human after his transformation.
For what ever reason all the creatures being experimentated upon escaped
there labs and killed those who were not effected or the entire complex
was effected, and either way all of them were running loose like insane
and deadly creatures feeding upon each other, and on someone who enters
the base.