Hi Dark,

Yeah, I know. Tolkien invested a lot of his life to building up the
history, languages, and myths for his books which is one reason they
are so good. Few authors devote that much effort for their work and
are far less developed in scope. This is why it is difficult for a
game developer with a casual interest to just write a game set in
Middle Earth because he or she needs to know as much about the world,
its history, languages, cosmology, and myths as the fans do.

As you yourself pointed out we aren't just talking about changes in a
universe created for TV, but the changes in a historical record that
is very detailed and precise. Only a person very educated in that
historical record should write the back story for that game and create
believable characters for that type of universe. Anyone else is going
to make mistakes that will not appeal to the fans.

For instance, as someone who has only read the books a couple of times
and watched the movies once or twice it totally escaped me that the
reason Frodo and Sam managed to make it to Mount Doom successfully and
destroy the ring was because Sauron was under the mistaken belief that
anyone who found it would use it not destroy it. When you pointed out
I see clearly the reasons why and can recall the books saying as much,
but I wasn't paying that close attention to it to be honest. It was
just casual reading at the time, and I might have made a mistake like
Peter Jackson did as a result.

Cheers!