To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2013 3:16 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] One more vb6 question: native form key handling versus direct input

Hi Ken,

Actually, older versions of VB .NET such as VB 2002 and VB 2003 had VB
6 to VB .NET translation programs, but they didn't work all that well.
I heard a lot of people still had to do a fair amount of recoding by
hand because the translation program would mangle the code in the
process of converting it from VB 6 to VB .NET. So such things did
exist once upon a time, but  as most people have moved on and
Microsoft officially dropped Visual Basic 6 support from all their
products so went their translator program into the trash.

That said, I think a VB .NET developer should really learn the
language from scratch anyway. My reason being that they have probably
picked up a lot of bad habits, learned to do things one way and VB
.NET does it different, and that might impede the learning process
because it takes a while to learn to do something totally different
than you are use to. New VB .NET developers coming from VB 6 may feel
frustrated because they are use to doing something one way for years
and years and now have to learn a new way of doing it.

Take generating numbers for example. The way you generate a random
number in VB .NET is totally different from the way you do it in VB 6.
If you didn't know that the .NET Framework has a class called Random
and know how to use it properly you would probably still be trying to
generate numbers using  the old Rnd() function which is of course now
deprecated. Instead you now have to create a random object, seed it
with the system time, and then use the System.Random.Next() function
to generate a number.

I think it is exactly things like that why Microsoft's translation
tools failed to work as they should. Just too many things changed to
make something like that practical without someone manually editing
the changes by hand. Not to mention the fact that many VB 6 programs
were written using a procedural type design and VB .NET now uses a
full blown object oriented design. We'd have to have a pretty
intelligent computer program to go through a program line by line and
bring all the code up to current spec.

Cheers!