Couldn't you just edit your file and add those effects manually?
----- Original Message -----
From: Ken The PionEar <kenwdow...@me.com
To: Gamers Discussion list <gamers@audyssey.org
Date sent: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 03:36:17 -0400
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Panning stereo sounds,was New Version of Soundscape Explorer

I had actually thought of switching to DX7 for that exact reason. The marching band in mono doesn't sound like much, even with a 3d effect added. It just sounds like a good radio playing the sound. There's no real depth. Then i thought about what i'd lose if I went to DX7. I wouldn't be able to add special effects, such as reverb, chorus, echo and the like. I'd also
have to rewrite the whole direct input section.
Since I didn't like either of those two ideas, I chose to simply split the stereo sound into two identical wave files, a left mono sound and a right one, and play them simultaneously. If you mess with Soundscape, you'll notice that the marching band is in stereo, just like with DX7--but it's
really just two wave files playing.
This is all well and good except for two things. First, the waste of CPU resources. This can be negated by checking the player's distance from the object. The sound of the right channel could be stopped until the player is a certain distance from the object. Then, you get the play position of the first file, play the second starting at that position, and move the sounds over to the minimum width and maximum width. I'm not sure how all this would sound, and right now it's purely theoretical. I do intend to give it a go
eventually.
The other, and more serious problem in our time, since we have a lot more CPU resources than ever, is the doppler problem. With doppler turned on, one of the stereo files is sure to get out of sync with the other, and all you have left is an echo effect. I suppose that in the main program loop I could always get the position of the left channel and reset the right channel
accordingly, but I'm still hoping to find a good alternative.
Ken