I have to say, having played and gotten pretty good at both Swamp and
AudioQuake, I have to say that I like the immersion of Swamp. There
aren't as many beeps in Swamp. None of the targets beep, and that's
amazing. There are ways of producing or providing sounds that aren't
beeping. For example, if you were going to do a headshot, maybe you
could hear the zombie actually breathing, rather than just growling or
stepping, if you were lined up, and the volume would throttle up and
down, depending on how close you were to the head.

As for AudioQuake, I didn't end up using the mouse, but I did put in
aliases to look up and down with keys, so I used to hang from the
ceiling on maps and shoot down at players. I used to play with the
sniper all the time, and people were fun to play with.

But the immersion I was talking about above wouldn't really work for
AudioQuake. I mean, Quake has many kinds of maps with many kinds of
objects and pickups. It wouldn't work to provide natural sounding
notifications for pickups and the like, because the maps were so
widely varied Still, I think that immersion and environmental sounds
is the way to go, especially as it makes the game feel a lot more
mainstream not to hear all the beeping.

Still, I'd be playing AudioQuake today if I could make it work on Win7
64-bit, but when I tried, I failed.

I want to thank the developers of Swamp and AudioQuake, as well as the
modders, because they opened up a whole new experience, online
competition and cooperation.

It's been great.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard