Hello List,

As all of you or at least most of you know by now yesterday around
4:00 PM Eastern Standard Time an unnamed  perpetrator/perpetrators
began sending various sexually explicit messages disguised as
legitimate list members to the list. Along with the sexually explicit
messages they also decided to fake a number of moderator messages from
me saying that the situation was being handled when in fact that was
just a smoke screen to mess with everyone's heads. I myself was
unaware of the situation until early this morning after I woke up and
had breakfast. Fortunately though, one of my administrators from my
webhost was subscribed to the list and was able to take immediate
action once the spam began poring in. He filed an emergency ticket,
and around 10:41 PM last night we got word back that Linode had cut
off all out going mail to this list. So what does that mean for the
status  of the list?

At this point we think we have stopped or at least slowed the source
of the spam for the time being. If spam continues to flood in to this
list we will take immediate action and put the entire list on
moderated status until such time that the spam is stopped for good.
However, as no new spam has come in since late last night we think we
have stopped the spam for the time being and moderating the list is
not necessary at this time. However, rest assured we have people
monitoring the situation to see if there is any renewed spam attacks.

As for the perpetrator or perpetrators there is a lot of speculation
as to the individuals involved, and we are following up all leads and
information as we have it. All I can say at this time is we don't know
who is behind the attacks yet, but I expect to know more once we have
a chance to look at the logs and follow the e-mails back to their
source if we can. There are talented people working on the issue, and
all we can do right now is wait and see what they come up with. In the
mean time let us get back to gaming, and hope things are taken care
of.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
Owner-Moderator of the Audyssey Mailing List
gamers-ow...@audyssey.org